[Serious] Need help to recover potentially thousands of bitcoin

Hi all,

I won't give too many details for obvious reasons. I have in my possession an encrypted hard drive from a relative which has been untouched since 2013. This person invited me to buy some bitcoin in 2011, invested at least 1000€ in bitcoin (possiblity more) and was setting up a business related to bitcoin back in 2013. He then passed away and we now have his hard drives but they're all encrypted. He was very security savvy (his passwords were in his head with a minimum of 25 characters sometimes) so brute forcing is not an option. We asked some very knowledgeable people who said we should give up for the time being because current CPU power would not be able to crack anything in the next coming years (we even talked to companies which only purpose is to have high end CPUs). There is nothing written from his belongings that would point in the direction of a password, but he had a purple usb key which was also a fingerprint reader so I'm guessing he used it for 2FA.

Knowing him very well, he was extremely obsessed with security (he had a dedicated router working as a firewall on top of his router modem at home), so I would expect the worse in this case. The hard drive was an internal hybrid disc from a Sony Vaio.

Did anyone else go through a similar situation? Any creative ideas? Or are we SOL? I was just listening to the reply all podcast and they were talking about a bitcoin hunter so I just thought of asking here for ideas. Thanks

submitted by /u/EmptyExperience0
[link] [comments]

Comments