Question in regards to claiming btc on LN compared to just getting BCH or BTC on chain

I’m an old school bitcoiner who gravitated to bch the moment the network got congested and fees spiked. To me bch still is the “true” Bitcoin but I’m not here to really debate that.

What I’m trying to understand is more about lightning without being misdirected.

So basically if I have a LN wallet custodial or non custodial and someone sends me 5 bucks or something can I even send it back to a regular btc wallet? Wouldn’t the low balance basically be trapped in Ln because the btc on chain fee is too high so basically in LN even if it’s non custodial aren’t I just holding a ton of IOU’s?

This clearly wouldn’t be even a second thought to a common user I’d say Venmo or something had LN wallet payments but to those who really want to “own” their sound money on the main net isn’t this an issue?

Why would I want to keep my BTC in LN . To me if you’re just as paranoid about a checking account holding your balance and not leaving your savings in a seperate account then how is LN any different?

The concept of it being a network and creating these routes makes perfect sense, I’m a network engineer by trade but why would we even need this it sounds like we are just over complicating what was meant to be a simple public ledger.

I’m not bias to LN or I’m trying my hardest not to be that way I’m not just avoiding it from my own outlook... but I still get the sense this is all a building block to centralized banking style 2.0 and honestly no normal citizens of the world will care or understand, most don’t even understand how much debt their own country may be in.

submitted by /u/art3m1sC01n
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/pxdixb/question_in_regards_to_claiming_btc_on_ln/

Comments