I would like to run a node and lightning node

Hi guys,

I'm one of those people who is very interested in Bitcoin, own some, but is not that tech-savy. Now, I believe Lightning to be a step in the right direction for mass-adoption so I would like to help out by running a lightning node. I also like the privacy idea of running my own node, but - and this is the problem - I DON'T KNOW ENOUGH ABOUT IT. But at the same time I want to support the bitcoin case so I might be a perfect example of the kind of regular Joe who needs education.

I've read loads of different guide and so on, but they all seem either too rudimentary or too difficult for beginners.

So here are a coulple of questions you might be able to help me with:

  1. I own a NAS that I could install a Bitcoin node on. Every guide says that is a private and secure way of having bitcoin. I own a hardware wallet already but how do I utilize my own node? My knowledge is too poor to understand. Do I transfer something out of my hardware wallet? How do I access my bitcoin without my hardware wallet? I'm sure these are all incredibly stupid questions but I have to climb the ladder one step at a time.
  2. How do I install a lightning node and make sure I get the small fee (I know it's mostly symbolic) sent to my address without risking being hacked or get the my own bitcoin stolen? I might not understand enough to ask the question properly.

Thanks in advance. This post might get some ridicule but if we want others than terminal-savvy people to adopt Bitcoin and keep them away from the exchanges we need to be able to help people like me :)

submitted by /u/Oldmantoffee
[link] [comments]

Comments