Shamir's Secret Sharing experiment in class

I teach in a few sessions of a Quantitative Finance master. One of them is dedicated to linear algebra, in particular the typical solving strategies for linear systems; exercises and examples in Python. Wanting to give it an interesting turn I introduced Shamir's Secret Sharing (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamir%27s_Secret_Sharing), although I did not give the students links or even Shamir's name, hoping they would have to implement it on their own instead of finding it ready-made, as in that link. To add some spice I put 0.01 BTC in an address and set the private key (converted to integer with the base58 convention) as the shared secret, giving them pieces enough to rebuild it. Just took them 4 days:

https://www.blockchain.com/btc/address/16aZGNimjTtgd44f3JE7sHyRyMWgn3wGuf

Although it was not everybody's cup of tea, I think most of them appreciated it, and I had lots of fun during the preparation!

submitted by /u/zeycus
[link] [comments]

Comments