Time it would take to bring in 1 billion people to BTC, and finally to lightning

I was wondering how much time (in the Bitcoin blockchain) it would take if suddenly 1 billion people wanted to get some Bitcoin the usual way, because suddenly bitcoin was accepted by most merchants.

Considering that most people will buy from exchanges, for withdrawing to self custody that will require 1 billion tx (maybe less if the CEX comprises them), and considering an optimistic 5,000 tx per block, that would take 200,000 blocks or 3.8 years. After that, if everyone opened one channel, that would be roughly the same amount of txs again right? another 3.8 years?

Am I correct? Maybe I am an idiot and I missed something.

As an alternative, would it be possible to skip all the onchain process and onramp people directly to the lightning network, but allowing everyone to have their own lightning nodes? (not like Muun wallet, which I love btw).

submitted by /u/felipebrunet
[link] [comments]

Comments