PSA: ALWAYS double check your URLs. Just got phished big time.

I've been using BTC for a relatively long time. I've always had a healthy paranoia about scams, phishing, etc. Except for today. For all those countless times I've tried to save a few dollars on transaction fees, cared about 10 or 20 dollars timing a sale, or just trying to be frugal IRL, and well it all just got washed away.

Be careful, there are MANY brilliant scammers out there trying to take your coins. I typed in the URL of a mixer I've used many times, except for some reason today I just typed in .io instead of .com. deposited about .8 BTC... Confirmation after confirmation and nothing happened. Then I realized, my time had come, I just got phished for $5,500. Just like that.

If you've ever been robbed before you know the sinking feeling. It's awful. My head continues to spin and I hope somehow some way I can get over it soon. Don't let it happen to you. Always double, triple check your URLs. You have to keep a healthy paranoia when it comes to this stuff.

Even the most familiar site can be made into a perfect copy, ranked on Google, or have a tiny detail in the URL changed. That's all it takes. Don't forget there is zero recourse for easy fuck-ups. Stay paranoid and vigilant. Learn from my mistake.

submitted by /u/btc32123
[link] [comments]

Comments