We don't need more "troll-identifiers". That's not how you welcome new users.

There's a post in particular made today harassing multiple users (including me since I came to their aid) that I have in mind. An entire hissy-fit based on one thing, someone who hasn't been around as long as the OGs who uses the word BCash nonchalantly. Not giving a name, because that would add to the problem.

There's also a lot of put-downs in the comments sections of post just half-heartedly smearing people with the "troll" label if they say anything that the accuser disagrees with and/or thinks isn't popular opinion for the sub.

This is completely unnecessary.

Nothing drives away new users faster than passive aggressive infighting and a toxic environment full of accusation making and pretentious people. That's not how you welcome the noobs, and that's not how you should treat "trolls" either.

If you can't be better than the trolls, than you're not better than the trolls. If you can't rise to a higher level of consciousness and quality of conversation than the trolls, than you're not fundamentally different from them. And the definition of "troll" isn't someone you disagree with, more accurately, it's someone who is low quality and trashy, and acts like they just live on the internet most of the time. Ironically, that definition fits most of these troll identifiers that lurk in the sub, harassing users and throwing smear words around.

But again I'm not naming any names, if you're guilty then you're guilty, and don't sweat it because we're all guilty of something.

But I've got to say though, the biggest put down of all is seeing high class devs and well respected individuals in the community falling into the same troll-identifier / lynch mob mentality and harassing people. And I will name names here for the devs, because I want them to read this and self reflect.

Want to know how I feel about Amuary (u/deadalnix) after seeing him shit talk BU like they're subhuman? I don't respect Amuary anymore. He might be a good dev, but that doesn't make him a good person. He needs to straighten his personal problems out.

Want to know how I feel about u/jonald_fyookball after him repeatedly and unrelentingly harassing me in threads where other people are harassing me? It makes me wonder where CashFusion is and why after everyone spending $10k (me having donated too) and it having been 6 months, how it is that he has time to downtalk me personally but not time to build the one thing we've all been anticipating.

Want to know how I feel about u/pokkst when he(or is it a she?) harasses me and then downvotes me when I attempt to apologize to him? Just peachy.

This community has a real problem with claiming free speech, then rooting for content moderation, but never content moderation for the low quality abrasive and divisive behavior of individuals who aren't even trying to do anything to add value to this space, but somehow have time to open their computer and mark me and others who are innocents as a troll in some fancy notepad they have downloaded.

Anyways, the only way to break the bad habits of a group is to break your own bad habits, as an individual. I feel like a staggering 2/3 of this community is constructive and productivity/positivity oriented, so I'm only speaking to that remaining 1/3 that I think is really lowering the bar for this place.

It doesn't matter what you think someone else is, whether it's a troll or a secret op or just a jerk. The Golden Rule does not care about your premonitions, biases, or your ideology. If you aren't nice to people, then people aren't going to feel motivated to change or stop being unkind to others.

submitted by /u/cryptacritic17
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/d74rn4/we_dont_need_more_trollidentifiers_thats_not_how/

Comments