I'm noticing an increased tendency to tribalism and I'm not happy about it.

Unfortunately I don't have the time these days for a more lengthly post about this topic. I want to share my concerns about the way I have been perceiving this subs community though this year. I am convinced that this behaviour has been partly been spread by a small group of user of this sub, and partly been triggered by users that follow other forks of Bitcoin.

It doesn't matter though who is triggering this behaviour, it is important how the community acts on and handles it. I for my part have been feeling irrititated at first, but since it hasn't stopped but increased, I am starting to get annoyed by it.

As I mentioned, no time to give this a longer explanation, I just want to share my impressions and make you aware of them.

I noticed a change in the way social attacks in this sub are being performed this year. 2017 the attacks were based on technical discussions, the whitepaper or satoshis words being interpreted in absurd ways, and users being insulted as too dumb to understand the technical side of Bitcoin. That was the trigger for me to get into reddit actively. After having followed Bitcoin since 2011 I could correct a few things about what was spread here.

In 2018 that attack vector ebbed down and was taken over by attempts to cause a drift between the dev groups various proposals and each improvement that was to be implemented, like the heated DAA or CTOR debates.

With the split off of BSV a more social approach started to get a hold. We are back at discrediting single actors, like it was and is still being done in the /bitcoin sub. The amount of personal attacks against users has been getting out of hand in 2019.

I also noticed some sort of campaign a few months back, directed against BitcoinABCs lead dev. Lots of criticial posts against Amaury in person. That has been dialed down lately and been replaced by a campaign against BU developers. Again, this criticism is not about technical achievements, but focused on personal discrediting the developers and trying to make the community mistrust the "true intentions" of those persons.

The result is more tribalism, less technical discussions. If Amaury posts something in /bitcoin, he is bad. If Peter Rizun or Andrew Stone don't condemn BSV, they must be double agents for them.

Some of you are being played, and I think you don't even notice it because you are so busy defending this sub against all this bullshit. The attacks against this community are getting psychological again because technical arguments don't work.

I really have to go now, so I am just going to finish this thought with this warning:

It turns out that there is now three forks of Bitcoin and they are all going to survive. One has small blocks, one has big blocks and one, after some struggle and by giving up on decentralization, managed to write even bigger blocks. And surprise, the guys who have been focused on making Bitcoin scale to gigablocks for years, are not condemning the fork that finally managed to write the biggest blocks ever seen on any fork of Bitcoin.

Is the answer to that really to throw that dev team out? Because they don't hate BSV? Step in front of a mirror and listen to yourself. This is exactly the psychological trick that created the btc maximalists. You are being bombarded with FUD and social attacks until you become BCH maximalists as a result. You are being played and I want to inform you all that I am not going to become that kind of user that I left behind in /bitcoin after the fork.

submitted by /u/grmpfpff
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/e6w3o5/im_noticing_an_increased_tendency_to_tribalism/

Comments