Difficulty splitting coins - ABC side of the chain is nearly dead.

Hey everyone, Leading up to and since the Nov 15th fork, I've been getting my BCH ready for the split.

The intent was to sell off most if not all of my ABC coinage... While I have been relatively unsuccessful thus far, I instead have insight into how dead the ABC side of the fork is.

First off - splitting was a breeze.

In fact, there are so many nodes on the BCHN side of the fork and so few on the BCHABC side that it's almost a guarantee that your transaction won't properly broadcast to the ABC side of the fork.

Initially, I was looking at the chained transaction limit and thinking I'd need to push more than 500 transactions within the same ABC block for the coins to hit the transaction cap and split.

I was dumbfounded to find that a double move within the same block did the trick. Technically speaking - that shouldn't have worked.

Next, I booted up my ABC client to synch and see what happened...

Well it turns out that the first transaction didn't even broadcast because it didn't connect to ANY ABC 0.22.6 node. I thought "ok, cool... BCHN is doing a great job of filtering out ABC nodes... this will be easier than I thought."

So the time came to synch the client. I get to around the "304 blocks to go" mark and it just stops.

I take a look at the console and realize that ABC has only connected to peers with a block height of ~661960 - the wrong side of the fork. In addition, ABC failed to find a single ABC 0.22.6 node to properly update.

I spent the next hour disconnecting from every Unlimited 1.9.0.1 client and every client with a BCHN block height (which surprisingly includes a metric ton of updated ABC nodes as well.

After doing that, I realized that my client started with the wrong headers (which is why it says it's over 300 blocks behind)

I then realized I probably needed to scrap the headers it found and restart synching from scratch.

I booted all non-ABC clients and all clients with the wrong block height and am attempting to get a proper ABC block header synch.

Because there are so few valid clients, it will likely take days now.

On top of that, when I finally get to the point that I can transact - blocks coming every 3-4 hours means confirmation times for one of the few exchanges that actually support ABC will be astronomical.

This feels, at best, barely worth the $15/coin bounty I'm currently after.

TL;DR - In BCH, the phrase "Easy as ABC" means "ridiculously cumbersome and nearly impossible."

submitted by /u/CaptainPatent
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/jvy10p/difficulty_splitting_coins_abc_side_of_the_chain/

Comments