Moving back to Canada to sell BTC (from Japan)

Not sure if anyone here has any insight on my specific situation but here goes. I’m a Canadian currently living in Japan and have a decent amount of BTC. For those that don’t know, BTC is taxed as income in Japan, meaning if I ever sold a sizable amount I could be taxed up to 55%😳😳

Needless to say, I’d leave Japan before I ever considered doing that. As of right now, in Canada I’d only have to pay capital gains taxes on it.

Here’s the question. If I were to move back to Canada tomorrow, once I officially relinquish my Japanese work visa and declare I’ve moved back to Canada, how long would I have to wait before I could sell the BTC in Canada and pay taxes on it there? Or would I still have to pay taxes in Japan because I bought it there and it accrued value while I was living there?

submitted by /u/pugman115
[link] [comments]

Comments