Newbie question - is Coinbase a scam?

Long time crypto enthusiast, only recently decided to buy bitcoin. Decided just before the US election would be good time to get involved. Joined Coinbase. Fully verified and linked a bank account. Deposit 3000gbp. Bought 3k of bitcoin. Few days later it’s worth 3500gbp so sold 500 profit and withdrew successfully. Few days later and the value is back to 3500gbp so decide to sell another 500. Coinbase app says my account is unable to sell. Weird I think, surely they’ll have emailed me to tell me this. Nope no email. So I start a support case. Few days later they email me back to say my account can never link a bank acc (I already had), can never sell crypto (I already had) and can never withdraw to a bank acc (I already had). The email advises me to send the crypto elsewhere. I go to do that and the app says that this function is restricted too! I email them back and they ignore it for over a week! They don’t even have a phone number!

I work for a big tech firm and can’t believe that a company is doing this. We’re not talking a small amount of money and whilst I don’t desperately need it the idea that they’ve locked it away from me is kinda nuts.

So I can’t sell, I can’t withdraw and I can’t send it elsewhere. All I can do is buy more? WTF that seems like a scam to me?

Anyone got any advice? I tried to post to their Reddit but you need a certain amount of karma 😂

submitted by /u/Narwhal-Proud
[link] [comments]

Comments