Bitcoin and my redemption story

I've never said this before, but today I am so fucking proud of myself.

Three years ago was the darkest time of my life. I had succumbed to a vicious gambling addiction that drained me of everything I had and then some, save for my closest relationships. I'll spare you the drawn out story of my spiral, but just to give you an insight into what my life had become, there was one time I lost $10,000 in a single day playing online poker. This was when I was making $60k.

Fortunately, my wife chose to stay with me even after discovering that I had squandered the money gifted to us for our wedding. If you've ever been close to having 'those' thoughts, believe me, I was straddling that line pretty hard.

Somehow, I pulled myself together and just started living the "one day at a time" mantra. That was not easy. Sure, I was no longer wasting $500 a day online gambling, but taking the rush of gambling out of my life and going cold turkey didn't make my newfound reality and accumulated debt any more easy to live with.

The further I distanced myself from my gambling missteps, the easier things became over time.

Enter bitcoin. I had curiosity into what bitcoin was and before I started buying, I did my homework. I spent over six months reading books, listening to podcasts, getting a firm understanding of what it was so I could justify buying it. I DCA'd into my bitcoin position because knowing myself, I knew I would not emotionally be able to handle the volatility swings if instead I tried to time the market.

My debt obligations were looming over me, but I still managed to save $50 a week which turned into $100 of btc. As my understanding of bitcoin grew, so did my conviction. I bought on dips and when I got my bonuses from work, I'd peel a little off to continue building my bitcoin position. I haven't sold a single satoshi.

Yesterday, I found out that I got a job offer which will take my salary well into the six figures. Within the next few months, I'll be able to finish off all my gambling debt obligations without having to sell any of my bitcoin. This news coming within the same week as bitcoin hitting a new ATH. Today I cried tears of joy thinking back to how close to life's edge I had allowed myself to go during my darkest times.

Michael Saylor says that bitcoin is hope. He's fucking right it is.

submitted by /u/ittsysk1975
[link] [comments]

Comments