Deceased friend’s bitcoin credentials

Throwaway for obvious reasons. I’ll try to be concise: my friend committed suicide in 2012 and his parents gave me his laptop. I only turned it on occasionally to look at the pictures he had of us on it, but six months ago I found a word file with bitcoin details on. It was everything you aren’t supposed to keep on your computer - his account (for a “blockchain wallet”), password, and seed. I’ve since educated myself on bitcoin, but I can’t bring myself to look at his account, even in the block explorer to just see if there’s a balance. He was a very smart guy but was into buying drugs online (which is what I think he used bitcoin for). It feels like it would be wrong to see if there’s a balance, and part of me thinks I just want to leave it untouched. What are your thoughts?

submitted by /u/throwaway_bitcoinq
[link] [comments]

Comments