Coinbase - Don't know their own terms and conditions?

Long story short. My Coinbase account has been hacked and a significant amount of cash has been spent on my cards.

I opened a case with coinbase in order to begin the recovery process, which has so far taken three weeks! After many calls and emails I've finally got a final response which has been escalated to the Financial Ombusman.

Coinbase are arguing that I'm not due a refund due to the fact my device was compromised and it's completely my responsibility. Here's their email:

"Thanks for your response,

The funds were not placed into your E-Money wallets. They were used to purchase cryptocurrency. There’s a large difference there. Assuming the hacker had deposited funds instead of purchasing cryptocurrency, you would still not be eligible for a refund due to the core issue that your device was compromised. Coinbase assumes no responsibility for the security of your device and that responsibility lies solely in your hands. I hope this has made this more clear for you, but I’m happy to answer any questions you may have.

Have a great day, and thanks for using Coinbase!

Coinbase Support"

Within their UK terms and conditions it states the following:

"You will be liable for the first EUR 50 of any losses you incur in respect of an unauthorised transaction which arises from the use of a lost or stolen credentials (for example when you have failed to keep the personalised features of your Coinbase E-Money Account safe)."

I've been accused of being a liar, that the terms are made up and they aren't within Coinbase's terms and conditions. Well, check for yourself here's a link, it can be found within section 3.9, refund rights: https://www.coinbase.com/legal/user_agreement?locale=en

What are your thoughts, do you think coinbase are right in refusing to give me a refund or should I take this further?

submitted by /u/Wicked243
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/9lqzqk/coinbase_dont_know_their_own_terms_and_conditions/

Comments