It's seriously amazing how far technology has come since the scaling debate back in 2015-2016!

I remember first getting into Bitcoin back in 2015-2016 (somewhere around that time). I wasn't even in HS. I heard about Bitcoin through an app called slidejoy, which allowed you to get free money every time you unlocked your phone. At the time, I wanted to redeem my money for PayPal cards, but I couldn't get my PayPal account up and running. I had looked at the other options for redeeming money, and there was this option to redeem money in "Bitcoins". I redeemed a small amount, but never understood the actual concept of cryptocurrency. At the time I got my first few satoshis, I wasn't paying any attention to the "great scaling debate". I lost my Bitcoins, and didn't really think about them for a few years (until I got them back and spent them).

I remember being interested in tech over all, and hearing about SSDs and how they are a new form of digital storage that are going to replace normal HDDs. I was thinking about shopping for them, but at the time, they were ridiculously expensive, and I didn't have that money. I wasn't really old enough to work, and it seemed like a waste. Back then, even a SSD that had a capacity of 1 TB was almost a thousand bucks. I remember thinking "who in their right mind would pay 8x the cost for digital storage just to get it a little faster". Keep in mind that there were only SATA SSDs that were widely available at the time. Back then, my family's internet connection speed was only about 25 mbps.

Fast forward 5 years, and here we are today. I thought SATA SSDs were fast and impressive. Little did I know that we already have a "new" type of SSD that uses PCIe technology. Not only are they faster, but they make SATA SSDs look painfully slow. Today, I can get the same SSD I had back in 2016 for only about $150, (which has the same max speed of the SATA cap at 750 MB/s or 6 Gbps), and if I just want to pay a little bit more, I can get a PCIe/NVMe SSD, which is roughly 5x faster than a standard SATA drive, clocking in at roughly 32 Gbps or 4 GB/s. My internet home connection has also gone from 25 mbps to 300 mbps (and that is the slow option), an improvement of 12x. It really surprises me how far tech has come even in the last 5 years when I start looking back.

submitted by /u/1MightBeAPenguin
[link] [comments]

source https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/llmika/its_seriously_amazing_how_far_technology_has_come/

Comments